Tuesday, November 24, 2009

LIFE'S A GIFT AND THERE'S NO RETURNS


Original lyrics by Stan C. Countz Nov. 2009


Drivin' like a maniac on my way back
From a high-priced gig
Saw a bright red Cadillac
With a bike rack on the back, hit a big rig

Pushin’ past eighty in my brand new Mercedes
Had maybe twenty-five miles to go
Before I’d see my baby
In my own home town, so I slowed down
And I’m glad I did

CHORUS
‘Cuz life’s a gift; can’t take it for granted
I don't know how many days I've been handed
You'd think by now I might've finally learned
That life’s a gift; there ain't no returns

Had my radio dialed to my favorite station
Smiled thinkin' bout my two-week vacation
Tank was near empty, but I was almost home
Chattin’ with my baby on my new iphone

Had a lot on my mind, missed that stop sign
I hit the brake but it was too late
Was it fate or was I plumb out of luck?
Drove straight into an ol pick-up truck

Dazed and surprised, I realized
As my life flashed right
Before my eyes (that)

CHORUS

It happened so fast, what could I do?
I was stuck, pinned in by that truck
And I could barely move

My mind went back to a much simpler time
Before things got out of whack and out of line
If I’d had a lot less crap on my mind
Maybe I’d have seen that stop sign

From what I later learned
The guy in the truck’s name was Vern
He'd been tryin’ to make a right turn
Now he’s on crutches with third-degree burns

As for me and mine, I finally realized
When my life flashed right
Before my eyes (that)

Life’s a gift; can’t take it for granted
Who knows how many days we've been handed?
To be candid, I hope by now we've learned
That life’s a gift and there’s no returns
When I forget, I think of good ‘ol Vern…
Life's a gift and there ain't no returns

No comments:

Post a Comment